Scientists have started to realize that a lot of us regular people can be a resource in analyzing scientific data, especially in Astronomy. So I’ve decided to start collecting these opportunities, both for myself and for you.
- Solar Storm Watch – Help researchers track solar storms. (Active Project of Zooniverse)
- Sunspotter – Help scientists research sunspot complexity. Easy way to start citizen science!
- MoonZoo – Classify features on the Moon. Spot Apollo leftover if lucky. Really. (Active Project of Zooniverse)
- Dark Skies ISIS – Tell researchers what appears in pictures of Earth taken from the International Space Station. This project aims to map light pollution around the globe.
- Be a Martian – Mars mapping project dressed up in youth oriented scifi themes. Fun.
- Planet Four – citizen science project designed to help planetary scientists identify and measure features on the surface of Mars . . . the likes of which don’t exist on Earth
Comets, Asteroids and other minor objects
- Asteroid Mappers: Vesta Edition – Classify craters and other features in high resolution pictures of Vesta from NASA’s Dawn Mission.
- AsteroidZoo – Search for Near Earth Objects
- The “Official Guide” to SOHO Comet Hunting – Use data from solar satellites to find sungrazer comets. This guide tells you how to do it right.
Other Stars and planetary systems
- Planet Hunters (Zooniverse) – Manual inspection of Kepler data for planet prospects
- Stardust@Home – Look for intersteller dust grains in aerogel brought back from space.
- GalaxyZoo – Classify Galaxies – (Active Project of Zooniverse)
- Milky Way Project (Active Project of Zooniverse) – Aims to sort and measure our Galaxy through the measurement of infrared bubbles.
Other directories of astronomical citizen science projects
- Connect and Collaborate with NASA – List of projects including non-space opportunities for people to participate in NASA projects.
- For Citizen Scientists – List of projects and resources from NASA.
- Zooniverse – Home to several projects, including GalaxyZoo.
If you know of others, please send them my way!
Terms used by projects listed here:
- Citizen Science
- Participatory Exploration