If you didn’t know about it, Alaskans from kindergarten through the first year of college have access to free* online tutoring on most any subject. The service is called Live Homework Help. This service is:
- available through any computer (PC or Mac) or mobile device with an internet connection
- compatible with a variety of browsers Check here for details
- available as a service to Alaskan students in grades K-12 and intro-level college students
- offered seven days a week from noon to 2am Alaska Time
- Online tutors receive background checks and no personally identifying information is shared between tutors and students
- Practice quizzes, the WriteTutor Review drop-off service and the SkillsCenter™ Resource Library that connects you to thousands of homework, test prep, and career resources is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The service is available to residents within the state of Alaska. Live Homework Help is closed on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, New Year’s Day, and Independence Day.
Here are some of the comments that have been made by students using Live Homework Help as reported on a recent mailing list posting:
- They know how to actually teach someone with dyslexia, which teachers here in my town lack so i love this site 🙂 (11th)
- Great to have the night shifters to help me out! I work nights so makes going to the math lab that much harder! so great someone is there to help me at 2am! Thanks again great job! (College intro)
- This is an excellent service that I couldn’t begin to imagine my school life without. With a busy life who has time to try and find a tutor (especially for difficult subjects). This site finds tutors for you! AND THEY REALLY KNOW THEIR MATERIAL! (College intro)
- This tutor has now taught me 3 different formulas to help me solve equations I didnt go over in class. Not sure how I would even do my homework without this service unless I sat at the math lab at UAA for hours. This allows me to still cook, hang out with the kids and work on my HW at my own pace thanks!!!! (College intro)
- My tutor was very patient with me I havent gone to school in a while because of a brain injury. I had problems with the math my teachers have been giving me and my tutor has helped me with so much stuff. I have a feeling that we went way over the time that I was supposed to use. (9th)
- I absolutely love tutor.com. Been using it for over a year now, and I love it from the very bottom of my heart. You guys are so amazing (though I have said this millions of times). You guys have saved my life. (10th)
- I would spiral into depression without this service. (11th)
- I never thought I would use an online service like this, but tutor.com definitely has this concept down! From the tutors to the interface, always extremely clear, helpful, and thorough. So grateful. Alaska State Library, if you read this, great use of resources! Thank you! (College intro)
- Please keep this service going. I have used it since high school, and now I AM ABOUT TO GRADUATE COLLEGE. (College intro)
So, if you are an Alaskan student or know someone who is, have them give Live Homework Help at try.
*It’s free to you as an individual, but is purchased by the State Legislature on behalf of Alaskan students.